Thursday 15 June 2017

Rock Climbing on the Isle of Man

One of the nice things about being part of the climbing community and the 'Outdoor Education' world is that I've always had like minded friends in cool places. From Kenya to New Zealand, my friends and I have dispersed around the globe to settle in exciting locations. 
Needless to say, having found myself on the Isle of Man, (mainly through the power of Facebook), I'd been told to get in touch of a couple of friends that I'd met in Wales years ago and who now live on the Island. Enthusiastic as ever, Steve was keen to show me around the climbing in the south of the island (I had no idea that there even was any!).

 

After a final check on my team, we went down to the Calf of Man, where the sun was shining and seals were basking in the evening light. A short coastal walk later and I was belaying Steve up a nice E1. The routes are mostly the work of his friend Dougie, who turned up later to give my full induction to the island's best routes. The rock is very similar to that of north west Anglesey (old, warped and a bit loose in places) and due to the lack of climbers, the routes don't get much traffic. But where routes had been cleaned, the climbing was good. 
I left my phone on the car by mistake, so sadly I have no photos. After a few routes, I got soaked as a squal blew through and put an end to climbing at that area.
Next stop on the tour was a bouldering area at a place called 'The Chasms'. Fabulous geology. Really good crimps and all around were big cliffs which are home to many routes in the E2 and upwards grade. There is also a big sea stack for the extra adventurous.

Steve and Kerry's amazing hospitality saw me well fed later back at their house as well as providing a night under a solid roof for a change! Thanks guys!

Headland by Calf of Man
- E1 (Steve led)
- E2 (TR)
- E1 Past high Peg
The Chasms
- Sloping bouldering traverse

No comments:

Post a Comment