Sunday 24 January 2021

Y Garn - Bike n' Hike

A little bit more fresh snow in the garden today. We toyed with the idea of looking for some ski action, but decided (wisely as it turned out), that there wouldn't quite be enough up high.


Instead, I took myself off up the valley to Ogwen Cottage by bike, then set out on foot into weather that was much worse than forecasted.


As I made my way up onto the deserted hillside (all the car parks have been closed, so unless you arrive by bike or on foot, the whole national park is out of bounds!), I got a few tantalizing glimpses of the surrounding peaks.


I had a few objectives in mind so went to the main cliff with a variety of options. After the first steepening, I came across a set of tracks in the snow and shortly after found John and Ange happily brewing up on a stove, on their way up the same peak!


Having stopped for a brief chat, I continued on my way. The visibility got worse as I gained height, so decided to opt for the safer option of Banana Gully as I know it very well and therefore navigating to, up and out of it would be straightforward in the gloom.


It was a bit of a energy-sapping, calf pumping experience, but I battled on and emerged onto the summit ridge slightly cased in ice.


I had a few moments on the summit to enjoy some peanut butter refueling, then, with goggles on to protect my eyes from the swirling snow, set off down the north seat ridge.


Views of the valley opened up as I got lower.


But the snow fell harder. Most of my tracks from a few hours earlier had gone.


Reaching the final stile, there was a burst of blue sky.


I followed a wild goat down to the car park, which gave a slight alpine feel.


Back at the bike, I finished my drink and togged up for the ride home. On the way up here, the windchill on my face had been back. Freewheeling downhill can easily produce speeds of about 30mph, so I made sure I was well protected for the return leg.



In the 7km ride, not a single car overtook me. (and not because I was going really fast by the way!). Typically, as I rode away, the summits cleared of clouds! I arrived home tired, but warm!



No comments:

Post a Comment