Monday 4 January 2021

The North East Ridge of Mynydd Perfedd

The winter coat that is covering Snowdonia at the moment has changed all the usual features and brought to my attention several routes that I had not considered in summer conditions. One ridgeline that caught my eye the other day, is the infrequently ascended Nort East Ridge of Mynydd Perfedd. Not only has it become an appealing looking line, being close enough to home meant that it was going to be an achievable objective.


A straightforward hike up had me at the base of the ridge just in time to meet the snowline. From then on, it was a case of following the crest of the ridge to the summit. 


The views on either side were fantastic and I could pick out various new lines and gullies to explore further once the snow has consolidated further.


Away from the ridge and once up onto the plateau, trail breaking was desperately hard in the deep snow.



On the tops, the wind was howling from the east, picking up snow and blowing it all around.


I followed tracks onto the summit of Carnedd y Filiast, where I could see our ski routes from earlier in the week on the other side of the valley.


As well as the ridge I'd climbed, I'd also eyed up this gully with leads almost directly off the summit. With the aid of my trusty orange bivi bag and using my ice axe as a break, I shot down the gully at tremendous speed.


Snow was flying up in my face as I rocketed off downhill. Much better than walking and as the terrain wasn't quite right for skiing, it seemed like the perfect travel choice.


I was glass to have helmet and goggles for what must be the first descent of the gully?! I dropped about 300m of height in about 3 minutes! Fabulous!



No comments:

Post a Comment