Thursday 18 July 2019

Bec du Corbeau (2221m)

Had a split day today as part of our new lifestyle. I had a free ticket to have a go on the 'Alpine Coaster', so we started the day with a bit of summer tobogganing! As you do... (you get dragged to the top of the hill and then wizz down on a little track). 


Then after a light lunch, Clare got back into 'city work mode' before a taxi took her to the Airport. By evening she was in Germany!


Left behind, I took the train to Les Bossons and began a calf bursting 700m ascent up towards a peak called La Junction. You can see it when we have breakfast, from the terrace, so I decided it would be good to climb it.


At first its just a very steep and sweaty zig zaging path through the forest, but soon you get amazing close up views of the Glaciers.



I went realativly fast as I didn't want to miss the last cable car back to the floor of the valley. It's only a short ride, but I might as well catch it! I made it to the first buvette (Chalet selling drinks) in just over half the advertised time, so was pleased with that.


Once I got to the Bec du Corbeau at 2221m, I decided to call that my high point. I could have pressed onto the summit, but the views were great a there was a grassy area, where I relaxed for half an hour or so instead. I had binoculars with me so studied the glacier and crevasses in detail, which was fascinating. While I was watching, a huge serac calved off a steep section and went crashing down the valley with a thunderous boom. Impressive. Meanwhile, Clare was getting an equally good view!


On the way down, just before the top chalet, I stopped to check the view. You could see the terrace of our apartment through the binos!


I shot down in quick time and would have had enough to make the summit after all.


I was still happy to get the mechanical assistance on the last section. It's a really old chairlift, so took nearly 15 minutes to descend. I was quite happy to take my time and soak up the views on a warm afternoon. Worth the money!


Two stops on the train and I was home. Sweaty, tired and happy....



No comments:

Post a Comment