Wednesday 12 February 2020

Banana Gully, Y Garn

A brief spell of winter in the mountains had me putting on my crampons for the first time this year. Between the weather fronts was a dry window of opportunity, so I raced up into the Ogwen Valley in the morning, where it was still very windy, but surprisingly bright.


The cliffs below the summit of Y Garn were looking wintery, but not really white enough for climbing. I still chose the gully option as it was much more sheltered than walking up the ridgeline.


Every now and then I got a face full of spindrift snow exfoliating my face as it blew past!




It was full winter conditions on the summit!



And into the wind on the descent, I had to deploy my new face mask - good testing conditions for next week - where I'll be in the Arctic on expedition I figured!



After lunch back at The Cottage, I jumped on the bike and met Clare down in Bangor, where it was almost as cold!.



No comments:

Post a Comment