Saturday 25 May 2019

Racing the Rain - Climbing at Verchiez

Our last day of this Swiss climbing trip and the race was on to beat the incoming rain. Merlin made me a splendid coffee which I enjoyed while waiting for the team to get up and packed. Outside the sun was shining on the balcony and the geckos were out soaking up the warmth.


Down in the valley, near Ollon, we quickly hiked up to the cliffs, through the vineyards. Behind us, it was clear that the rain was coming our way!


We got three fast climbs up the technical slabs done before the first raindrops fell. I paused before packing away the ropes as it looked like it might ease but. But then the heavens really opened and we got a proper soaking! The group sheltered in the trees, while Emma and I sorted out the gear. Climbing was over for a while now.


At least it gave us a good excuse to have a mooch around Villars, get some souvenirs and send a postcard. It's a small town and I even bumped into the parents of a student that I used to teach when I lived here in 2005! Things dried up again later in the afternoon, but we couldn't persuade anyone to get back out on the rock, so hung out at the chalet instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment