Sunday 12 May 2019

Camping & Climbing - Slate and Slabs


Blue skies prevail! A fine weekend for some Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expedition training. Saturday proved to be a very enjoyable day, assisting a few teams of students as they completed their training hike. Good navigation, good tent pitching, but further work required with camp cooking. Who knew that pasta needs water to cook in?!


It was another chilly but beautiful night under canvas, once the sun had gone down.


On Sunday, after getting the guys sorted, we managed to get a quick climb at Bus Stop Quarry, which was a total bonus. I've tried to make this happen a few times in the past, but the combination of group, timing, staff, weather etc have never quite coincided.



In the evening, once the training expedition was completed and all the kit put away, I decided that I still had enough energy left for a quick trip up the Slabs in Cwm Idwal, before Clare arrived back from London. There was still a bit of sunshine left, but the weekend visitors had all gone, by the time I set off.


The rescue helicopter swooped in to pick up a guy who slipped and fallen on the descent path next to the cliff as I was jogging up the trail.



Once the noise of the helicopter faded away, I was left to a quite Cwm and climbed carefully, enjoying the solitude and stillness of the evening.


I made it up the 'Ordinary Route' on the slabs and back down to the car in 1hr and 3minutes, which I think, maybe a record. I was tempted to carry on higher up the mountain but didn't want a super late night. On the way down, I passed a herd of crazy miniature horses that seemed to be just chilling by the path.


Bus Stop Quarry, Llanberis:
- Fools Gold, E1 (5b) - TR
Idwal Slabs:
- Ordinary Route, Diff - Solo


No comments:

Post a Comment