Monday 23 October 2017

Kayaking on the Afon Conwy

After yesterday’s impromptu sudden dusting off of my kayak, Aled texted me first thing to see if I fancied another river trip - this time on the Conwy.



I got together my wet gear and pulled my thermals back out of the washing machine and set off for the get-in. 



Some friends were just setting off as we arrived and the water levels marker was only just on the ‘green tick’ which indicates that it’s ok for kayaks to proceed. 



I’d not been down this stretch of river (above Betws-y-coed) for at least a year or two. It’s a beautiful stretch of river, with some great rapids and isolated gorges. No kitchen sinks and garbage here. Just a few dippers and this unfortunate ram!



Was good to feel confident in the boat after a long period away from whitewater. I’ve been doing plenty of work on the lake with students, but not on moving water. Rivers are great. 
And in the afternoon Clare and I managed to get a climb done in the Slate Quarry! (With the odd wet ledge!). Bonus! Good diverse day!

Llanberis Slate, Australia Area:
- Steps of Glory, (5a)

No comments:

Post a Comment