Saturday 14 October 2017

Expedition Training

I’m camped up on the hilltops above Conwy tonight! It’s a magical spot that overlooks the estuary as well as out to sea and across to Anglesey. After leaving my group after dark, I pitched my tent on a summit and lay out in my sleeping bag watching shooting stars. I saw three really clear ones as well as some bright satellites passing overhead. Very peaceful and without a breath of wind and in un-seasonally warm conditions.

This weekend marks the last of my work with Duke of Edinburgh’s Award groups for the season. I’m training a strong team of 6th formers for their Gold Expedition. After checking plans and equipment, we picked up our rations from Tesco, which had to cater for all kinds of tastes (not mine!).



When I met the group at the wild camp, I was delighted to be able to use my new ‘titanium’ Spork that Clare had got me for my birthday for the preparation and consumption of cous cous, pepper and avocado. A delicious camp classic.



My Duke of Edinburgh’s Award trainers, Kirstie and Ricky are also running a DofE expedition - but on a sailing boat. She sent me this photo of the stunning sunrise as they left Conwy Marina early this morning. 



I may have missed the sunrise, but from our elevated position, we were able to soak up the last of the light at sunset while we ate dinner. 



Having retreated inside my tent, the wind has suddenly arrived! The whole thing (and me, in my sleeping bag!), just got picked up and moved downwind! I’ve just been out and re-pegged it out with extra pegs, so hopefully I’ll still be here in the morning and not blown out to sea!?!....

No comments:

Post a Comment