Tuesday 6 June 2023

Slates, Scrambles and Sunset

The run of glorious weather continues in North Wales! While I'd have loved to have ventured up in to the higher mountains and climb some of the routes that are usually a bit damp, but now bone dry, time constraints and expedition planning took precedence! However, I did squeeze in a quick climb in the Slate Quarry.


Believe it or not, it was probably a bit too hot to be climbing on the sunny facing slate slabs, we we chose one that had just come into the shade. Bex did all the hard graft leading the route - I just had to follow and enjoy the views. It felt a little harder than usual, perhaps as the holds are getting polished?


Back home for food, packing and more finalising of paperwork and I was feeling much more sorted for the coming week away. At 20:30, I went up the valley where the sun was still shining brightly, with Milestone Buttress positively glowing in the evening light.


Chased by a rising line of shadow, I went up Pulpit Route in the glow of light. Tremendous!


From the top of this, I joined the Milestone Gully Scramble - usually a waterfall, but tinder dry this evening...


And then as I was still in the sun, the Continuation Scramble beckoned! Nearly 300m of Scrambling in about half an hour!


Feeling like the summit of Tryfan was still a long way off and with the sun finally reaching the horizon, I traversed onto the North Ridge and descended this back to the van (you can just see it in the photo below!).


Absolutely magic to be out in conditions like this! I was back at the van in under an hour and home before 20:00 to do my final checks. What a place!




Llanberis Slate:
- Plastic Solider, 6a+***

Milestone Buttress:
- Pulpit Route, Diff***
- Milestone Gully, II**
- Continuation Route, II**

No comments:

Post a Comment