Friday 8 April 2022

Down time in Datça

After a week that's seen me in Dublin in Ireland, Newcastle in England and The Cottage in Wales, we're finally in one place for a bit! Although the temptation to dash straight out and get on the little known cliffs of western Turkey, was there was also a desire to stop and relax for a bit - a feeling worth listening to sometimes!


It's fair to say, that the water here in the Aegean Sea is a fair bit warmer than the North Sea, so my second sea swim of the year was much less painful, but just as exciting!




Not far in the distance are Greek Islands!



It's a stunning coastline and not built up very much. There are quite a few small hotels along the sea front, but hardly any are open at the moment - the vibe suits us nicely.


The main town harbour is a few minutes walk away from our apartment and really nice. All very chilled.



As luck would have it, there is also a superb coffee shop by the water. I tried a local 'Turkish Coffee' but it's a bit gritty and strong for me! Still, at 50p a cup I couldn't complain!


We can walk right along this sea front prom to get to the shops etc. In my haste to leave home, I forgot to pack my shorts, so luckily there are a few shops to browse here and I now own a new pair!


It's great being away in a country so different from home. Everything is so different and there is always something usual to see and hear - both nights so far, we have fallen asleep to the tropical sound of croaking frogs outside the window. From the crazy drive here, which had us driving through major road works while they were still in full swing, to seeing whole families drive by us all stacked onto a single motorbike, I'm forever looking gasping and laughing. While in a supermarket and stocking up on food for the next few days I was delighted to find a workman casually lighting up Aisle 10 in a shower of sparks from an angle grinder (zoom in to the photo below!)! Imagine that happening in Tesco!


We said our goodbyes to Uncle Bob today as well. While the family gathered in Cornwall, we raised a glass to him, took a stone from the beach and read aloud Jenny's tribute. 




No comments:

Post a Comment