Friday 16 April 2021

Underground in Cwm Orthin Slate Mine

An early start was required this morning to nip up to check out a new crag for me near Betys-y-Coed. We didn't have time to climb any routes, but was very pleasantly surprised to find such a big cliff so close to home that I'd never been to before! We must return soon to check out the quality if the climbing.


The next port of call was Blenau Ffestiniog, where I was part of a mine leader training and risk assessment day. I don't often get to go underground, so gearing up in all the kit felt partly strange and partly nostalgic!


Over five hours was spent exploring through the different chambers, passage ways, zip-lines, bridges, clip-lines, inclines and all the areas in between. It was actually quite a privilege to be being guided though it by one of the most experienced cave and mine leaders in the country, even if it's not my preferred way to spend a sunny day!.



On the way home, later that evening, Clare met me in Ogwen and we did a couple of climbs on little Tryfan to top back up my Vitamin D for the day!



Tryfan Bach Climbs:
- V.Diff**
- V.Diff*


No comments:

Post a Comment