Tuesday 8 October 2019

Bwlch Mawr (509m)

When surfing on the west coast of Anglesey, not only do you get a great sunset, but you also get a great view of the Lleyn Peninsula skyline. Various pointed peaks form a dramatic silhouette and I've never been up any of them. I've been meaning to remedy that for ages and today, I got my chance. As is often the way, the peninsular looked to be much brighter than the main Snowdonia mountains, so we went to have a look. We chose 'Bwlch Mawr as our first objective, mainly due to the shorter drive and high access point. Right from the start, we had great view. A familiar landscape, but from a different angle.


There is some rock climbing on the mountainside, so we checked it out on the way. It was very mossy and overgrown and looked like it was last climbed many years ago. The guidebook also mentioned a mine worth exploring too, so having found it I went for a quick nose inside.


I didn't get far when two bats came flying towards me! I made a hasty retreated!


We returned to the original plan and continued up to the rocky summit of the peak.


From the top, at a modest 509m, we could see the beaches of Anglesey as we as down towards Aberystwyth. 



The late hour and cold winds, perswaded us to call it a day there and return to sea level. Down at Trevor Beach, all was calm as we looked back up at our first Lleyn summit. It had been a great local(ish) exploration, with more to come back for...


No comments:

Post a Comment