Sunday 10 March 2019

Orienteering Competition

First thing this morning, I ran up and over the hills above Llandudno to set out an Orienteering Competition course. Fresh snow had fallen in the mountains and there was a bitter wind chill and I jogged along in my shorts and wooly hat. At least the sun was out though.



Between 11:00 and 15:00, teams set off to run the course and we had a really fun day. The only trouble came when I ran the course a second time to retrieve the markers. By now the continuously strong winds had twisted all the tight strings into horrendous knots, which I struggled to untie. Not an easy task with cold fingers on a cold day, standing in shorts, getting buffeted by the wind and quickly loosing all body heat. Matters were made worse as I ascended the hill. This time, there was no sign of Llandudno, just a wall of grey cloud with an accompanying hail storm heading my way! There was no where to shelter as the frozen pellets hit like needles on my bare legs and face. At the summit, I did actually become concerned that I might not make it back! Soaked and shivering, I did however, arrive back at the warmth and safety of the cabin eventually. It was an unexpected end to the day. I retreated to a hot shower asap...


No comments:

Post a Comment