Friday 8 March 2019

Afon Ogwen - Fisherman's Gorge

With the rain showing no sign of stopping anytime soon, we enjoyed a second day on the Ogwen after a morning of meetings. This time the water levels were a little higher, but not at the crazy 'over the banks' level of last night. Lucy joined us too and we'd soon repeated the village section of rapids and decided to carry on into the more serious 'Fisherman's Gorge'


The paddling was really technical as you have to weave your way through the correct line of water, between a lot of big boulders. Most of the rapids were ok, but felt intimidating from the top, if we couldn't see the whole way down. We broke the trickiest bits into sections, so we could safely scout ahead and use some bank support if required.


I'd borrowed a bigger boat today, which was a good move as some of the rapids had deep holes which I would have got flipped around in, in the Vertigo. 




I had to roll under the Scout Hut Bridge when I got hit by a sideways wave, but later on once the difficulties had passed, a momentary lack of concentration flipped me upside down in a shallow rocky zone! Too shallow to roll up, I had to exit the boat and swim after it before I could get back to shore! Oooops! Thankfully my drysuit did its job well as I bobbed along! We finished under the A55 delighted. It's been years since I'd run the section and really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment