Tuesday 19 February 2019

Kayak Surfing at Stanley

Although it's hardly very far away, it's been many, many years since I took my kayak surfing at the Stanley Embankment wave. It has quite a fierce reputation and my memory of it was completely justified when we arrived. A huge amount of water (well it was a Spring tide), was being squeezed though a tiny gap in the causeway that connects Holy Island with Anglesey. As it passes though, a large wave is created and with a good amount of nerves and a bit of skill, you can surf the wave.


John dropped in first and make the whole thing look rather easy, while I built up to it, by breaking in and out across the incredibly fast flowing outwash, trying to decided whether or not to go for it.


Once on the wave, I began to get a feel for things and found, much to my delight, that I was mostly in control of the boat and could surf back and forth along the green wave.


Of course, there was also a good amount of rolling practice after I was forcibly ejected from the waves and deposited upside down among the foaming waters. Luckily for me, I rolled up each time and returned to the eddy feeling refreshed and a little disorientated! It was great to be back on the wave and thanks to John for the 'induction' and motivational 'nudges' to get us there in the first place!


No comments:

Post a Comment