Tuesday 4 January 2022

Tryfan North Ridge

Last nights rainfall stayed up on the mountains in the form of snow, so the mornings kayaking plans were thwarted by a lack of high enough river levels. After a good natter in the cafe instead, I set out on a bit of 'pre-season training', with a solo ascent of the North Ridge of Tryfan. Although I've had an active few weeks, it's been a while since I went uphill without mechanical assistance!


It was plenty cold enough, with temperatures around freezing pretty much from the valley. The visibility remained good until I reached the Cannon Stone. 


I sheltered for a while behind a small cliff while I took a phone call. By the time I'd hung up, things had changed considerably! A gales was blowing in fresh snow and I took advantage of my sheltered spot to gear up in full waterproofs and gloves.


With goggles still in my pack, I continued upwards regardless, stopping only to assist some lost hikers and showing the way down.


Up at the summit, the wind dropped long enough to enjoy a peanut butter sandwich and the little views on offer.


Between a few hail showers, I descended the west face without seeing another soul.


It was a burly few hours on the hill, but felt good to be back out in winter conditions...

No comments:

Post a Comment