Tuesday 30 October 2018

The A55 Ridge Scramble

It's always a bit frustrating for someone like me, when the weather is glorious, but there are other jobs that don't involve being on mountain tops that need to be done. There was another decent frost this morning, so I consoled myself with the thought that at least it was warm inside. I worked as fast as I could so that I could get away just in time for a quick scramble before (well during actually), sunset. Pulling over off the A55 on the way back to The Cottage, there is an appealing rocky ridgeline. I have climbed it a few times in the past, but this time I was on a reccy to see how useful it might be as a route to do with students. And it was a beautiful evening that was not to be wasted! The sun was reflecting on the rock, making it glow orange, as I arrived at the base of the ridge - I was super excited to change shoes and get going.


It was a real buzz making my way carefully along the crest of the ridge, working out where good stances or protection might be. 


The rock is very good, but there are very few places to get any protection in. 


I made the summit just in time for sunset. I'd picked up a headtorch from my kit stores, but made it down in the last of the light. A great evening blast to break up the drive home!


No comments:

Post a Comment