Wednesday 17 October 2018

Sailing on the Menai Straits

I got to try my hand a sailing today, through the Menai Straits, which has been a wonderful experience on such a calm day.


I was with a group of my students and we set off from the docks at the Conway Centre, next door to Plas Newydd.


Just walking down through the gardens to the water's edge was a beautiful way to start a day. So many colours.


Out on the straits, the pupils got to try various types of boats and although the winds were very light, we just about made some progress down to Y Felinheli for lunch.


Afterwards, we continued along to Plas Menai. Here we were able to glide quietly up to a Comerant who was sitting on a buoy and got within a meter before he eventually decided to dive in. A Heron also gave a really close flyby!


Later, I got to take a quick go in the safety 'Power Boat'. I do actually have a licence to drive these things but rarely get the chance, so enjoyed a quick session/refresher with Jon, who was expertly giving tuition to the students (and me!).


All too soon, the wind and tide had got us back to the centre where we de-rigged and returned to the comfort of dry land. A brilliant day both in terms of activity, wildlife, students and the chance to see other excellent instructors in action. Inspiring stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment