Monday 24 September 2018

Mountains by Moonlight

The skies gradually cleared during the day, but plans for going climbing got put back and back until eventually, I'd run out of daylight.


About an hour after sunset, the moon began to rise. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and there was not a breath of wind. By the time I'd finished what I was working on it was a bit late to be calling friends, but I really fancied going out into the moonlight. Feeling tired, I checked the forecast, thinking that perhaps I could go out tomorrow, but it was looking like tonight was the night. I grabbed my jacket and van keys...


To save time, I decided to go up our closest peak, Moel y Ci, and after a mere four minutes drive, I was setting out into the night. I didn't need my torch as the moonlight was bright enough to see by and cast my shadow on the wall as I walked to keep me company. It didn't take long to reach the summit, from where I could see the mountain silhouettes to the south and the bright lights of Bangor and Anglesey to the north. 


I lay down on the rocks to catch my breath and look for shooting stars. I didn't see any shooters, but did watch a satellite pass quietly overhead. Without the wind, it was silent on the summit. It was also very cold for September as the temperature had dropped from 19 this afternoon to just a paltry 4 degrees this evening, so I didn't stay there too long.


It was good to nip out. I was only gone from The Cottage just over half an hour, but returned refreshed, energized and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment