Sunday 23 September 2018

A bit of Bronze D of E...

Ah, it's that time of year again. Time for a bit of Duke of Edinburgh's Award assessing. This time I was working with my friend Emma and we had a great weekend shadowing a few teams as they made their way through the mountains of Snowdonia, having started from the calm water of Llyn Gerionydd.


There was a 100 mile endurance race going on this weekend and at the campsite in Ogwen, we watched as a line of head torches crossed the Carneddau. It was quite a spectacle. (You can just see one in the photo - it was much more impressive in real life!).


Sunday saw the teams journeying through the Ogwen Valley. I manned a few checkpoints, but was mostly involved with other laptop based work while Emma did most of the assessing (thanks Em!).


After a wet start, things did start to brighten up, but the temperatures made it feel like late autumn. I hope this isn't the start of an early winter - my friends in Scotland said there is snow on Ben Nevis!


Once the teams had finished (all passed), we packed away the tents and sorted the camp kit. Before the light completely faded though, I raced over to Anglesey to join Clare, who had been catching up with some friends of ours who we had stayed with during our travels in Australia. They were staying somewhere with a wood-fired hot tub, so we had a good natter among the bubbles. A great place to swap stories on a cool evening!


Then when I finally arrived back at The Cottage, we got to try a glass of some wine that I had been given for my birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment