Saturday 10 February 2018

Broad Gully, (Gd I) Cwm Lloer

'Soft' would be the word to best describe the snow conditions today. Soaking wet, saturated and unfrozen, would also be fair descriptors! Utterly grim weather has blasted across the park, with rising temperatures and incessant rain on the back of a fairly strong warm wind. All in all, not quite the alpine experience I had been planning in my mind.


After almost scrapping all mountain based plans and catching a lift to London with Clare, I decided to make the best of the situation and give some of the Rab gear a proper testing. The Rab 'Kinetic Plus' is billed as a waterproof softshell and to be quite honest, when I first tried it out, I was very dubious that it would provide any protection from the rain. Well since using it, I've been proved firmly wrong and it survived the rigours of today's tests with flying colours. Although I was only out for a morning, it rained continuously and I was sweating hard the whole time I was out. Arriving back at the van in the early afternoon, was completely dry underneath and very impressed.


The walk up to Cwm Lloer was beyond saturated. Water was pouring off the hill side thanks to the combination of falling rain and melting snow. I pressed on regardless, curious to see how much snow remained higher up. A lot of snow was packed into the Cwm still, but the gully I was aiming for was soft and wet and was going to prove to be un-necessarily hard work. I opted to scoot up the classic Grade 1, Broad Gully as the snow seemed just about packed in enough to prevent any major floundering.


I kicked my way upwards into the gloom, enjoying the madness of being out. Down in the valley, I had been unsurprised to find that I was the only car parked up!


On the way back down, the clouds parted for about three minutes to reveal the view. It took about an hour to return to the van.


I was hot, sweaty, tired and very glad to be back at the van. Testing complete and exercise achieved, the rest of the afternoon, after a hot shower, was enjoyed much more sensibly, indoors with friends, cake and coffee...


No comments:

Post a Comment