Tuesday 6 December 2022

New Boots!

The summer before last, I bought some new winter climbing boots in a sale and subsequently jinxed the following winter conditions - we bare even had a frost! Since then, they've remained in the box, with tags still on! Today, they finally got their first outing... 


There's been a dusting of snow on the tops, but more due to cold temperatures and moist conditions creating lots of rime ice, rather than significant snowfall.


It was the perfect intro to winter as there was not a breath of wind as I passed Llyn Idwal.


Soon enough I was high enough for my boots to finally reach some snow after a year and a half in a cupboard!


In the sheltered gullies, the frost stuck to the grasses, making them look like pipe cleaners.


The winter coat picks out different features that are not so easily seen in summer. Despite climbing Y Garn many times before, I still found a new little frozen gully to climb.



At the top, there was clear evidence that it had been windy at some point.


These feathers of 'Rime' grow into the wind and had made some beautiful art out of the rocks.



A final sweaty up the last slopes got me to the summit, where it was almost the conditions to see a Brokenspectre, but not quite.


As well as my boots, it was also the first winter outing for the pack I am testing.



On the hike down, the colours and light were simply magnificent. I had to keep stopping to soak it all in.





No comments:

Post a Comment