Thursday 8 December 2022

Full Moon in the Winter Mountains

The day started with a promising glow on the horizon. One of the bonuses of this time of year is that you don't have to get up early to enjoy a good sunrise!  


I was teaching a navigation class, when our lesson got slightly interrupted by a visit from the (enormous!), international rugby player, Scott Quinnell. 


After spending a little time with the celebratory, we let him get back to coaching the team and continued up onto the lower peaks of the Carneddau. We stayed out of the snow, but it was bitterly cold.


Ice was forming on the ponds and little lakes, right before our eyes!



On arrival back home at around 6pm, the full moon was already up, the skies were clear and there was barely any wind. As the mountains were snow covered already, it seemed like an ideal opportunity to venture out into the moonlit landscape.


All was silent and the snow reflected the light beautifully. I didn't turn my head torch on at all, and made fresh footprints in the snow with just my shadow for company.


The snow was still powdery and soft, but there was just about enough firm stuff, to lead me up my usual 'start of winter route', Banana Gully on Y Garn. 


Sitting on the summit ridge looking out at the peaks around me was sublime. A real magic mountain moment.


The walk down went quickly, but I stopped plenty of times to soak up the ambience. Near the bottom, I disturbed a herd of goats with huge horns. There were at least 20 and after a brief stand off, the creatures, that looked like alpine Ibex moved off and let me pass in peace.


An absolutely fabulous experience. One for the memory banks!


Was back at The Cottage at 21:35, by which time I was very much ready for dinner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment