Thursday 27 October 2022

Sea Salt Therapy

Still trying to shake off the lurgy and although much better than a few days ago, we're both still a long way from full health. However, I was well enough to contemplate leaving The Cottage to check out the north coast with Luke. We went over with the proviso that I might just take some photos and enjoy a blustery walk to get some fresh air in my lungs - which are currently working on about fifty percent capacity. 


There was a stiff off shore breeze blowing and the skies remained overcast, but the temperatures were hovering around an incredible 18 degrees! - On arrival there was a lady happily swimming around the bay and body surfing some good looking waves. It's been about ten years since I last surfed here and happily, we were the only surfers on the entire beach. It probably wouldn't have been what the doctor would have prescribed, but it felt like it might do me good on some level at least!


With Poppy and Emma, we had a great little team and all the waves to ourselves - I decided that a quick dip and some salt water therapy might help clear the lungs!


Having decided to get changed, as we waxed our boards, the sun even came out! Surely a good omen.


We all paddled out easily and got a lovely long first ride that instantly made me feel that it was worth getting in! 


After the euphoria of catching the surf, the paddle back out was super hard work in my tired state and the waves changed a bit too, adding to a pounding I then received. Salt water certainly washed my sinuses though and the water felt warm!


I didn't try and over do it, so retreated out after a few good waves happy to have finally managed to have a local adventure and a social afternoon.


Later that night, with salt water still sloshing around inside my head, I was involved with a CPD training session at the Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Base that had been organised by the Association of Mountaineering Instructors, looking at how the rescue system works in terms of co-ordinating an operation.


And how the systems work on the ground - how you actually rig for the lowering of a stretcher.


All rather informative, with lots of more 'heavy duty' kit that I'm used to climbing with!


No comments:

Post a Comment