Monday 10 October 2022

A 9 Star Tremadog Day

The plans of spending the morning white water kayaking were abruptly ended before I'd even got out of bed as the river gauge was showing that last nights rain, although very heavy, had not been enough to swell the nearby Ogwen river to a level sufficient for good kayaking. A day of doing chores and other long put off jobs was narrowly avoided when Leo texted to say that the sun should be out at Treamdog and that he was keen to go climbing! Slightly sceptically, due to the wet ground and overcast sky, I went for it anyway. Astonishingly, we spent the day climbing in t-shirts it was so hot and warm!


I've climbed pretty much everything within my grade there, but it had been so long since my last visit that I was just happy to be moving on warm rock. 'Christmas Curry' is one of my favourite climbs and always enjoyable. This time in two long pitches.


After a handy abseil to the ground, I climbed the first pitch of 'Grim Wall' and Leo took over to do the harder 'Shadrach' finish. All three star rock climbs.



After a peanut butter sandwich lunch at the sun soaked van, we drove down the road to the far end of the crags for another classic.


Arriving at the base of the crag, we were surprised to find quite a few other climbers. Happily, they friends who were there working - assessing two people doing their Mountaineering and Climbing Award. We offered our best encouragements (having both got the award, Leo and I both knew the pressure they were under!), then Leo set off up the cliff.


The mid-height belay was pretty small, so Leo carried on to the top of the crag and I got to enjoy the whole route in one rope length. 


We left the village of Tremadog around 17:00 and after calling in for a cuppa at a friends house on the way home, I made it back to The Cottage, just as the moon was rising over the mountains. I pulled the van over to the side of the road and gave the spectacle some appreciation. It was a nice moment and a good way to end a lovely, if unplanned, day.


Tremadog Climbs:
- Christmas Curry & Micha Finish, HS (4b)***
- Grim Wall, VS (4b)** (P1)
- Meshach, HVS (5a)*** (P2)
- Craig du Wall Direct VS (5a)***

No comments:

Post a Comment