Tuesday 24 August 2021

Rock Climbing at Glendalough

The lake at Glendalough was looking incredible when we woke up and crawled out of the van. It was going to be a stunner of a day. This is another climbing area that my university friend, Daragh, had told me about years ago. I've been bouldering and hiking here on two previous occasions, but never managed to get to climb some of the classic routes. Today was our day and conditions could not have been better for our first routes here and final Irish climbs for the summer. 


No one gets up early in Ireland, so we enjoyed the walk up though the woods, feeling like we were in a pristine wilderness.



This time, we left the gentle tourist path and had a vauge path that took up steeply up to the base of the imposing granite tower. As we reached the base of the rock, I stripped off to my pants to cool down. Surveying the view back to the lake, we saw Barney making his way up to us at Olympic speed. He was up with us in no time, so we climbed as a sociable team of three. Naturally, we had the crag to ourselves.


Clare led the first pitch up the slaby base of the crag.


And we followed up to join her on a hanging stance.



Barney was up next and we joined him at the 'Nightmare Ledge', where there was just enough room for the three of us to sit. 


I was sent up the final corners, with encouragement from those left on the ledge.


This is us hanging off the 'nightmare ledge' - it felt like a minature Yosemite!



Clare joined me at the top, followed shortly after by Barney.





After an abseil down from a wire anchor, 'we' decided that 'I' should lead up a route called Cracks of the Garden of Eden. It seemed okay, so I set off feeling good. However, from the ground, I couldn't see the steep top section that seemed to go on forever! I was running sort of gear and had used my last extender by the time I pulled thankfully over the top onto horizontal ground. It had been a testing lead - physically and mentally! We all congratulated ourselves before making a long 50m abseil back to the bags. After that route, we decided to head for home! My arms were spent.


Brews at the van and a bit of a tidy up ensued, then we drove to Bray, near Dublin where we had a really lovely night with Barney, Sam and Sinead, who we'd started the trip with in Barna thirty days ago! A great last night in Ireland!

Glendalough Climbs:
- Prelude / Nighmare, Vs (4b,4a,4c)**
- Crack in the Garden of Eden, HVS (5a)***

1 comment: