Saturday 13 February 2021

Last of the Icefalls

There was a foreboding red side to greet us as we looked out of the skylights this morning. The savage winds and sub-zero temperatures remain, but a thaw is on the way!


It was looking like the last chance to swing an ice axe for a while, so I layered back up and staggered back up into the Cwm. Unsurprisingly, I was one of only a few other visitors to the National Park that day! Which felt a bit strange, given that it was the first day of the February Half-Term holidays and usually a very busy day - especially, with such ice conditions!


After walking around the frozen lakeshore, I found that the route I had eyed up was almost completely sheltered and I'd gone from buffeting gusts to barely a breeze. I'd looked over at this icefall several times over the years, so was delighted to get the place to myself for an unhurried journey.


After cramponing my way up for a few hundred meters, the top section became exposed to the winds. The ice was also being blown into incredible curtains and chandeliers. 


The ice was perfect for climbing with a 'chewy' feel that axes and crampons sunk into easily.


There were plenty of options to go for easier or harder variations at the top - I played it safe though!



The snow arrived as I reached the summit, then, with goggles and facemask back on, walked across the bare and frozen tundra above the Devil's Kitchen. Back at the lake I followed the path out as the worst of the weather arrived.


By afternoon, the temperatures were above freezing and the snow had turned to rain. Out by the waterfall, the frozen cascade was beginning to melt. Good timing!...


Cwm Idwal:

- Castle Gully? II-III (or The Trench? I - or just an unrecored stream?!)



No comments:

Post a Comment