Friday 16 October 2020

Up and over Conwy Mountain

Starting the day off in the hospital was not quite the beginning of a busy day that I'd had in mind. A day ago, I'd ridden my bike only a short distance, but without my 'protective' glasses on. As I can't always close my left eye on demand, it's prone to catching incoming flies and typically, that's exactly what happened (again!). I did manage to recover the offending insect, but my eye had remained sore and on waking up this morning, I found it swollen and that I could hardly open it. Maybe it's the local lockdown or the unwillingness of the public to go to the hospital, but I arrived as the doors were being unlocked and after a brief consultation on the phone was admitted into the huge waiting room, where all the seats bar two were coned off. There was literally no one around except for a chatty cleaner. I got the first appointment of the day at 08:30, had an eye test, and anesthetic and some dye put in my eye, which revealed a scratch, but no foreign bodies, so I was sent on my way. I kept crying orange tears, but at least it was numbed for a bit!


Luckily, I had a short day planned with my students and I was able to pick them up on time after my brief detour. I've been up on the ridge of Conwy Mountain plenty of times, but rarely to make the entire traverse, which made for a very satisfying journey.


Helped by the good weather and fine view of course!


Below the summits there are old oak woodlands and the forest floor is literally littered with acorns. There were so many that it was like walking on marbles at some points and we had to watch our balance!


The autumn colours are fabulous at the moment (probably helped by the sunshine and blue sky, but really vivid non the less).



No comments:

Post a Comment