Saturday 10 October 2020

Sunday Summit Series - Tal y Fan (610m)

The sunny started off very well, with a brisk cycle along the north coast to meet my group of students who I'd be leading in the mountains later. I wanted a leisurely pace, so had left early as the sun was coming up and all was going well until suddenly it wasn't - the chain came off the bike! Usually, this wouldn't be drama as it's an easy thing to flick back onto the cogs. However, this isn't so easily achieved on an e-bike, where the chain disappears into a sealed box with the motor. Thankfully, I was at a high point on my ride, so coasted down to the seafront where the cycle path meets the road and John very kindly came and picked me us as we were both heading for the same destination. I had got my breakfast with me, so settled down for a breakfast with a view while I waited! 


Once I'd been rescued and got my day back on track, I had a delightful day above the Conwy Valley on a peak called Tal y Fan. The drive up to the car park is almost as hard as the hike.



At the top farm, we were surprised to see a herd of Alpacas!



As the day wore on, the clouds began to lift and we even had some sunshine. The northly wind meant that it was the first time this season that I had to wear hat and gloves to keep warm though.





Summit celebrations were good fun and there were excellent views. For my group this was their first mountain experience, so I was glad that they had a good day for it and the hard work of walking up hill had been worth it.









No comments:

Post a Comment