Friday 26 June 2020

Morning Stillness

We had the most incredible elecrtical storm during the night. We were both up at 3am watching bolts of lightning striking all around us and feeling The Cottage shake as the thunder shook through the sky above us. Rain accompanied the flashes and hammered down hard on the skylights. It was a real force of nature. By daybreak, quiet stillness and some big puddles were all that was left. Perfect for another pre-breakfast swim. The storm had dropped the temperatures a bit, but it still felt warmer than normal. As I cycled down a dip, my glassed fogged up completely as I rode through pockets of cold and them warm air. 


At the river, conditions were even more magical that I had hoped. There was not a breath of wind and the reflection of the clouds was pristine after the rain. I got off my bike and dived straight in. It didn't even feel cold and I did laps off the pool for as long as I dared before leaving it to late to make my morning meeting. Utterly glorious. It was a real moment of tranquility, floating on my back, looking up at the mountains.


On the ride home, I spotted a row of wild orchids on the side of the track.



The wind picked up through the day and by evening was shaking the trees and shaping some cool clouds. Today was our last full day of 'Online Outdoor Education' teaching. Quite a landmark...

No comments:

Post a Comment