Friday 28 June 2019

Heatwave Hiking

Not a cloud in the sky this morning! Having enjoyed the amazing sunset from the mountain top, I had to pay for my exposed position by enduring a night of flapping canvas as a strong wind had picked up. By the time I got up, the wind was so strong that I almost lost the tent as I was taking it down. I managed to bundle it all into my pack before setting off to meet the guys.


In between todays check points, I was pleased to manage to get a few jobs done as well, so felt super productive.


The final camp was up on Gryn, which was hosting another spectacular sunset viewing point. the wind was almost reaching gale force as we huddled behind some sheepfolds to cook our evening meal. Every now and then, a pan lid would get blown off in a gust!


Given the incredible temperatures (it was 29 degrees at 19:00), I had hiked up to meet the lads on the mountain top, carrying a jerrycan with 15 litres of fresh water and feeling a bit like a Himalayan Sherpa! Instead of camping, I went back down to The Cottage, so that I could meet them in the morning with fresh supplies (and have a comfy night in bed!).


On the walk down, I shared the view with the wild ponies...


Friday continued to be super hot, so with a 10litre jerry can of water strapped to the back of the e-bike, I met the team several times for 're-supplies' while enjoying a fantastic bike ride. (Thanks Pat - it's brilliant!). The team finish in Llanberis at the home of one of the students. We arrived for a late afternoon BBQ, which was a delicious treat!
Once all was packed away and de-briefs done, I returned to the Ogwen Valley with Clare for an evening swim - it was literally too hot to do anything else!


Then as a final treat of the day, while we were swimming back to shore, an Otter walked up to our bags and over the rocks! I've only ever seen one once in North Wales, so amazing to see one so close up.


No comments:

Post a Comment