Monday 21 November 2016

Tales of a South West Roadtrip

I wrote this after last month's mini-adventure down to Cornwall, then promptly forgot about it... Great memories...

THE VOYAGE TO CORNWALL...

This road trips’ heading south and west;
To where the pasties taste the best.

There’s aunts down there and friends galore;
A good time guaranteed for sure.

Diesel and coffee’s what I’ll need, with the van as my trusty steed;
The mileage count will sure be high; shame I’ve got no wings to fly.

So fire up Google and it’s maps,
To plan the route, fuel stops and naps.

M6 goes for some duration; soon I’ll need a service station
On A14 I’m soon departin’ – lead the way, down to Fort Martin

Short notice not a problem here; I’m greeted warmly with cold beer.
“Bed and dinner? Breakfast too? I’m sure that’s something we can do”.

The food’s so tasty, quite first class – I think I’ll have another glass,
With desert too? If you insist – this road trip stop should not be missed!

Fed and watered, off to bed, excitements buzzing in my head.
Try my best to get some sleep, so to the schedule I can keep.

Up with the sun next blue sky morning, apples picked while I’m still yawning.
Around the grounds we take a walk, enjoy the views and stop to talk.

A quick detour to see Michelle, so far this road trip’s going well
Devonshire’s where I’ll next drive, and reach the climbing wall by five.

To meet with Hamish, Matt and Minna, then head to theirs in time for dinner.
Dine fine again, with laughs and fun; shot in the foot with a Nerf gun.

Up out the door and early too, as narrow lanes lead me to Looe,
It’s sat nav verses common sense; big hedge on both sides; driving tense.

A long reverse, around blind bend, hoping that it soon will end?
Find a better road to take, which proves to be a lucky break.

It leads me down to Amberly, where hugs prelude a cup of tea.
For breakfast, Jen, much care has taken; presenting fried up eggs with bacon.

Wally swells the team to three, and after food we check the sea;
Looe Island and the sleepy valley and quick look round the classic chalet.

Purchase pasties to sustain, the last leg, where we take the train.
Walter gets the coffees quick, the train pulls up with timing slick

Coffee’s drunk and pasties down, we soon roll into Penzance town.
Braced against cold Cornish air, Bob and Janet; waiting there.

The visiting nephews glad to see, their aunt and uncle by the sea.
A lap of town, share family news; while shown the sights and local views.

The schedule’s tight as Jan’s embrace; down side streets, station bound, we race.
This visit’s over far too quick, but to the plan we sure must stick.

In order to be Devon way, to dine with friends at end of day.
More farewells at Liskeard town, then hit the road in search of Brown.

Arrive for dinner and share memories, with Uni chums who work with trees.
The chat goes on long into dark; then share a bed with Mr Shark.

On final morning, I’m north bound; so call to see if Dave’s around,
A stop at Mendip; Phil’s there too! I stay for yet another brew.

Had hoped to get a brunch at Oake, but Neil’s away with Taunton folk,
So carry on with empty tum, but feeling sure I’ll soon find some.

Another stint in drivers seat; I’m going to need a bite to eat,
The coffee’s helped me stay awake, but without food I start to shake.

Turn off at Malvern for a look and find some toast with friend Tim Cook
At his new gaff (with mighty shed), I’m tempted to make use of bed.

But off I must, there’s far to go and Birmingham’s sure to be slow,
Soon it’s dark, but on I ride with music loud to keep eyes wide.

900 miles on the clock, the journey’s end unravels, 
Memories are made of this; adventure, fun and travels…

ian m.... Oct 2016









No comments:

Post a Comment