Thursday 24 November 2016

Central Trinity, Snowdon


To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much as I set off from Pen y Pass around midday. The telephone and internet has been down since the storms the other day, so had to call Fort Martin for a weather update! The forecast was suggesting a good day awaited, but the valley felt too warm. I kept the faith and plodded upwards from Pen y Pass. At the base of the Trinity Face on the northern slopes of Snowdon, I sat in the mist and ate some peanut butter sandwiches at the edge of the snow, considering my options. After fifteen minutes or so, a few seconds gap in the clouds revealed the base of Central Trinity Gully. I decided to gear up and go and investigate. There seemed to be plenty of snow, so carried onto the half way chockstone. From there on, it's easier to continue up than descending. The way ahead looked clear, so I committed to the summit and went for it. 


About 100m from the summit, I climbed through the cloud and into the blue sky. The snow was now icy and firm and the rocks all rimed up. It was an incredible moment; I felt like an Alpine hero, all alone on the quiet north face of Wales' highest mountain with perfect conditions. 



All the rocks were beautifully patterned with the rime ice.

 
As I reached the summit, I turned around to see a perfect broken-spectre below me on the clouds. I had the summit of the mountain to myself, where a strong wind was trying hard to push me over. 

 

It was great to have the broken-spectre shown on the summit shadow. I was too late with the camera, but you can just make it out. 

 

An old guy staggered up to join me, then promptly lost his had to the wind. On the route I'd climb past a thermos flask, a waterproof jacket and a plastic bag all frozen into the snow, which had presumably all travelled there from the summit. The hat joined the tally. 


I could have stayed up there for hours, but on discovering that I'd left my headtorch in the van, decided I'd best get moving. 

 

I descended the summit steps and enjoyed the views out south and west.

 

 

Then set off with my shadow on the downward journey.



Descending the pyg track, without the clouds gave the perfect view of the Trinity Face, with my line of foot prints tracking straight up the central Gully. 

 

This pic shows the route. Starting diagonally from left to right then straight up the middle, past the chockstone. Looking at it straight on, it seems outrageous steep and an improbable solo trip. Surely one of the greatest Gully journeys at the grade. Especially in such conditions. And the first ascent of the winter season. Utterly brilliant. 

 

Then back down into the clouds...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment