Wednesday 23 March 2016

Cold finger climbing in the Slate Quarries

I was in the throws of a very productive expedition planning session on the computer this morning, when I received a text asking if I fancied going climbing. My initial response was no way, I'm in the zone here and have got tonnes to do, but then after a few minutes, I replied again saying yes - but only if we can make it quick! It turned out to be a great decision; not only did we climb a great route, but I came back even more refreshed and re-energised to carry on. All in all, it was a pretty cool lunch break from the office!


We went up to the Skyline area of the Llanberis Slate Quarries, where there are quite a few good, long pitches of climbing to be had. Leaving our packs at the top of the route, we scampered down to the base and got the ropes out. It was overcast, spotting with rain and very cold, but I was quite psyched for it! 


The rock was finger numbingly cold, but the route is crimpy enough to hang on to even if you can't feel your fingers. Tim followed up with his gloves on! We'd already decided that one route would be enough given both of our time constraints, so we hurried back out of the quarry after topping out. We were actually much faster than expected, so had chance to stop in to the cafe for a quick brew and a thaw out on the way back to The Cottage. Then back to work it was!

Skyline Area - Llanberis Slate Quarry
- Plastic Solider (5c) 40m

No comments:

Post a Comment