Monday 4 October 2021

Lessons on the Lathe

I've finally been able to go an have the wood turning lesson that I was gifted over a year ago. As well as picking up some new tips, techniques and knowledge, I now have sawdust and shavings coming out of my pockets, hair, nose and ears, but have managed to hand craft an oak bowl in the process! 


I was getting tuition from who turned out to be, one of Wales' master craftsmen, and we got straight down to business within minutes of my arrival.


Slowly but surely, things started to take shape and my brain tried not to overflow with the influx of new knowledge that was being sent my way. Just like in the Den at Fort Martin, we were only allowed a five minute break for lunch and a quick cup of tea, then it was back to the lathe for further spindle skills after sanding and polishing the bowl.


To add a bit of detail, I burnt some rings in to the wood.


Then we had to smooth off the back where it had been held in place.


The spindle work was easier in some ways, but trickier in others as we worked in different patterns in some soft wood.


Then I was given a lump of Yew tree to see what I could create out of it!


I was very pleased with the end result of a hard days grafting, thanks to Les' expert tuition and guidance. All I've got to do now is try and remember some of what I've been taught for when I'm next at Fort Martin! Thanks for the 'experience'! 


I'll be taking bespoke bowl orders soon at very reasonable prices!....

No comments:

Post a Comment