Thursday 7 November 2019

A busy weeek - Inspection, Observation, Training and Celebrating

I've been a bit too busy to fit in daily blog updates this last week. Estyn (the Welsh version of Ofsted) have been inspecting the Outdoor Education Department that I'm in charge of at St David's College. We've all been on our best behavior and unlike most kinds of inspections, we enjoyed being able to show off the things we do, as without being too modest, we feel that we do them rather well. - We'll get the results in a few weeks....


In-between this, I had a great day out on the lake in canoes, as part of our staff training and lesson observation process. It's a real pleasure and privilage to be able to watch skilled teachers of outdoor activities 'doing their thing'.


On Wednesday evening I had a late-night re-setting the boulding wall ready for a climbing competition. It was cold in the wall, which I think helped me to work fast.


Clare came and helped me after dark and checked the routes to make sure I'd got a good range of grades. Afterwards, we went for dinner in Llandudno to celebrate my 'second birthday' - a big one this year - my 21st Birthday after losing a bit of brain in 1998.


To complete the week of learning, I was on a British Mountaineering Course at the end of the week, learning about current techniques and practices in terms of physical training for climbing. 


The course was run by the GB Climbing team coach and I definitely picked up some good bits of knowledge as well as getting very pumped doing some strength training!


No comments:

Post a Comment