Monday 9 April 2018

Lowe Alpine - Descent 35 - Ski Pack Review

Although winter conditions are still going strong across Scotland and the Alps, my time spent shuffling about on skis has probably come to an end for this season. For anyone with the time and resources though, it looks like great ski touring will still be available well into May and beyond, especially up high!  


Over this winter, I've been giving Lowe Alpine's dedicated ski touring rucksack - the 'Descent 35' - a test, so if you're thinking of heading out to enjoy some of the amazing late season ski touring, here are a few of the features of a rucksack that you may find useful on your tour.


To be honest, even having been journeying on skis for over twenty years, I have never actually owned a specific ski pack and had always just used my regular climbing sack. While this had always served me fine in the past, the main difference I noticed with the Descent 35 is how snugly it fits around my back. I'd never really given much consideration to how a big climbing pack can move about and affect your turns, but with the tight fitting and sculpted design, you certainly do. Clearly a lot of thought and design has gone into the production of this.
The pack has various 'add-ons' that clip to the outside depending on your activity requirements. The bag is big enough to stash my ice axe inside the pack during day tours, but it tidily fitted to the outside via a removable toggle, when internal space became a premium.


Ski helmets are always a pain to try and fit inside a bag and I never previously enjoyed having mine swinging free, clipped to the outside. A neat little detachable elastic netting solves this problem, meaning that helmets can fit snugly and securely to the pack while not in use.


Probably the best feature (well for me anyway), is the zip down back. The entire contents of the pack can be accessed via a zip the runs all the way around the back of the rucksack, giving easy access to your gear. I found the map pocket to be extremely useful storage when accessed in this way.


As well as being able to grab a quick drink or snack en-route without having to empty half your gear into the snow. (There is also the option of an insulated hydration system - I just prefer an old-fashioned water bottle!). On top is a dedicated 'goggle pocket', which was large enough to accommodate some suncream and a few other 'easy to grab' items of kit. With skis tied tight to the outside of the pack, this was always previously an impossible task with my climbing rucksack.


I found 35L to be the perfect size for day tours and it fits well within the cabin baggage requirements of the airlines (easyjet) that we used.


The waist belt (sorry, I don't have a detailed photo), has an insulated zip pocket on the right hand side, which was handy to keep my GPS and a snack bar in. The left has a sturdy gear loop, for glacier travel kit carrying. The sculpted waistbelt pulls together firmly and holds the bag in place well. The only modification I needed was that the straps were a bit too long for me.


For an overnight hut trip, I'd say that the packing would be a little tight and you may end up with a jacket strapped to the outside of the pack (and there are plenty of ways of easily doing this) - especially when you are sweating uphill in just a thermal!


The pack has the option of carrying skis in a variety of ways; together or side by side. I still prefer the classic 'A-Frame' style as I find that it keeps the weight of the skis in closer to the body. Either way was quick and easy to facilitate though.


And finally, although you hope you'll never have to need them in anger, there is a dedicated front zip pocket that is organised to store your shovel, probe and emergency kit, ensuring rapid access should you need it.


Oh, and there's a handy zipped internal security pocket for your valuables, with an emergency crib card printed onto it.


The low-down and curved shape means that you barely notice it while skiing. The material has a very sturdy feel and even on one day where the temperature shot up and it poured with rain, the contents stayed dry inside.


So would I recommend it? Yes, certainly - it's been great to use, especially for day tours. Hut to hut, I think it would be good but at only 35L, will make sure you're not carrying anything too excessive! 
Happy skiing - I'm off to dust of my rock climbing gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment