Tuesday 20 March 2018

Sron Gharbh (709m) - Glen Falloch

While using ones van as sleeping accommodation can have its advantages, there are also a number of disadvantages to consider. Amazingly on this trip to Scotland, I have not had need to dry any clothes or kit, as the weather has been cold but dry. However, last nights exceedingly cold temperatures meant that when I woke up this morning, my head was literally frozen to the side of the van! I was plenty warm enough in my Rab down sleeping bag, but sleeping with my hat on, I awoke to find it was frozen to the frosted metal work! I was using a rolled up fleece as a pillow and this too was frozen so hard to the back door, that I thought that it might rip when I tried to pull it off! Haha! Ah, the joys of van travel! There were some beautifully intricate crystals formed on the (inside!) of the windscreen. I was grateful once again to go inside for a cooked breakfast with Mo and not need to fire up the gas stove. 


It was tempting to go with Mo again, up to Ben Nevis, but time was against me if I was going to make it back to The Cottage. Instead, I set off south and drove up through the stunning valley of Glen Coe.


I had to keep stopping the van to try and take it all in. What a stunner of an early morning.


In Glen Orchy, I planned to climb the Munro Ben Lui. I sorted out my kit and munched on a crusty croissant while sorting my gear. 


What I'd not realised, was that it involved a river crossing and a long hike up through a shady forest before reaching the main mountain. After watching some others wade across and get wet feet, I decided to change plans as I didn't think I'd have enough time to reach the summit anyway.


I continued south to Glen Falloch, where I parked up just south of Crianlarich and followed the River Falloch up into the delightful and sun-kissed Corie Earb. Branching off west, I made an ascent of Sron Gharbh, which although lower than it's neighbours, gave some stunning views and a new vista for me, having never stopped here before.


I doubt it gets many ascents and it felt like I was the only person for miles.


The views were worth the sweating and complaints from my tired legs!


The wind calved sculptures in the snow were beautiful and I came across many animal tracks along the way, including, deer, fox, hare and many tiny mice or shrew prints. The animals themselves all remained hidden though and I saw no wildlife.



On the summit, I pulled on a warm jacket and chatted with the Nipper by phone, to wish her a happy birthday, while soaking up the solitude. 


Eventually, it was time to go. Time and energy prevented a continuation along what looked like a terrific horseshoe ridge. I descended quickly down a steep gully in crampons on rock-hard snow.


I brewed a coffee, ate another croissant and got on the road. I often pass this way by night, so it was nice to be able to enjoy the views of Loch Lomand by day light.



In fact, the views were so good, I stopped at the southern tip of the loch to make another brew and soak up the last of the mountain views before continuing non-stop to The Cottage and a much warmer sleeping arrangement. 


No comments:

Post a Comment