Thursday 22 March 2018

B Gully, (Grade I/II) Y Garn

Back home in Wales, winter is still just about hanging on to the highest mountaintops. After driving up the valley first thing this morning, I almost turned around to go home, but the prospect of a light rucksack and some blue skies spurred me on. High up on Y Garn, some of the gullies were still holding some snow, so I set off optimistically to see what they would yield.


There was literally, just enough snow filling 'B Gully' and as this is the only gully left on the mountain that I'd not climbed, I was pleased to be able to tick it off.


Albeit somewhat sparse in places, I had fun kicking my way up it in my crampons.


The wind was strong and cold on the summit, so I huddled down behind the cairn and had some food and drink while checking out the snow and ice on nearby Snowdon. There is still a ribbon of ice in Sargents Gully and enough snow to get up Parsley Fern Gully (see photo below).


Over in the Nameless Cwm, it looked like there was still plenty of winter available too.


I downclimbed into Banana Gully and was then able to face out glissade (like skiing, but without the skis) all the way down it which was both great fun and an easy, quick way down. Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment