Thursday 8 December 2016

Winter Surfing

Hard to believe that I was out on skis this time last week! Given the sudden warm temperatures, I idly took a look at the surf forecast, and would you believe it there were waves forecast! I made it out to the beach with about an hour of daylight left. Perfect for catching the last push of the high tide.

 

Blue skies prevailed, but expecting the worst, I still togged up with boots gloves and a fleecy rash vest. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the temperatures and stayed quite warm for the hour that I was in, but I still had a few 'ice cream' headaches when big waves crashed over me.
Although the waves were big, they were closing out quickly, so I didn't get much in the way of long rides. However, the sky was a glorious colour as the sun set, huge banks of clouds were pouring over the distance mountains like waterfalls and curlews and osyter catchers flew past at low levels, making for a magical end to the day.
Thankfully my hands stayed warm enough to be able to unlock the van, but in the fading light, I could barely make out the combination lock numbers to get to the key!

No comments:

Post a Comment