Friday 2 December 2016

Welsh Skiing

There is still a good covering of snow up on the tops and given the recent spectacularly colourful sunrises, I decided to make an alpine (early) start to the day and get up there to try and capture the sunrise in a photo.

 

I left the car at 06:25am and was high up on the side of Carnedd Daffyd (above Cwm Lloer), clipping into my skis at first light. Some steep skinning up through the remaining snow patches got me to the cliff edge above the Black Ladders for sunrise.

 

Unfortunately, there was no glorious light show this morning. The clouds were well off the summits, but the blanket of cover meant that it simply just 'got light'. Somewhat of an anticlimax compared to recent days!

 

On the plus side, I was on the summit of one of Snowdonia's highest peaks, with the mountains to myself and a ski run below me before the morning had even really started. I put on my duvet and enjoyed a panoramic breakfast of cereal bars and an apple. Then the fun part really started! Downhill skiing, on perfect, firm 'spring like' snow.

 

To make the most of the descent, I made sure I took long, wide, traversing turns that had me travelling effortlessly right across the mountainside. Ski mountaineering really is one of my favourite things to do. After the feeling of satisfaction of the accomplishment of the ascent, you are left with a fantastically enjoyable and relatively easy way of descending the peak. And today, it felt extra special, given that I was so close to home!

 

Admittedly, it was rather patchy at times...

 

And all too soon, I was back down at the lake in Cwm Lloer, where the reflection on the lake was more or less perfect.

 

Once the snow ran out, I had to carry my skis again.


After a quick stop to enjoy a peanut butter sandwich and to drink the last of my water, I set off for the van.


 

It was a surprisingly quick walk back down into the Ogwen Valley, where I stopped to try and photograph another mirror reflection on Llyn Ogwen. Almost all the snow has now gone from the Glyders and Y Garn.



And after all that excitement, I was able to be back at The Cottage by 10am for a late breakfast and a hot shower, before spending the afternoon at Plas Newydd at a Christmas Fair and an evening bouldering session at Indy Wall with Clare. The days are just packed at the moment...

















No comments:

Post a Comment