Thursday 5 May 2016

The Tour du Mt Snowdon

So, for the last few days, I've been helping out on a mini-expedition that has travelled around the base of Snowdon, using various methods of transport. The team of students had started from Llanberis on Tuesday and travelled on foot to the Ranger Youth Hostel in the valley by Rhyd Ddu. I've been out of phone and wi-fi reception for almost the whole time, which I have to say, was actually rather nice.


The next morning, the team travelled via steam train to Beddgelert, where we took in the sights, legends, gift shops and some ice cream before continuing into the Gwynant valley.


On the way, we nipped into the copper mines for a quick look around at the stalactites. (and some spooky mining manakins!)


Past the mythical Dinas Emerys (of Merlin fame) and along the shores of Llyn Dinas...


And into the very stately Youth Hostel at Bryn Gwynant.


Then finally, on Thursday, before heading back over the pass to Llanberis, we had some fun and games crossing the river at Llyn Gwynant... Some of us even made it across dry...


All in all a wonderful tour of the mountain in some glorious spring weather, using trains, buses and some good old fashioned walking. Having said that, I was mostly bus driving and setting up activities - I was very generously given 'light duties' as I am still trying to give my foot a chance to recover. It's been two weeks now and it's still sore and swollen... Very frustrating, but bodies are amazing things and I'm sure I'll be back up to speed before too long...!

No comments:

Post a Comment