Monday 16 May 2016

A Royal Party at the Palace!

What a royal day to remember! As a way of thanks for my work with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award over the years, I was invited to a 60th anniversary garden party celebration at Buckingham Palace today!


With a freshly pressed shirt and suit on, and not a thermal or fleece product on sight, I took the early train from North Wales this morning, to meet up with the two Nippers for a spot of lunch at a suitable fancy restaurant before strolling across the Royal Park to the Palace.



Security was tight. Sadly there was a strict no photos policy once inside the gates, so I had to make do with a selfie without the Duke in it.


The gardens are huge. There is a lake, woodlands and lots of impeccably striped lawns. After meeting up with some of my students, we had a hour to 'peruse the grounds' before we had to be 'in position' for the ceremony to begin. Brass bands were playing as we walked and talked. Various celebraties were there to help hand out the awards, and during the course of my strolling, I 'bumped into' plenty of superstars, including lots of England rugby players, Olympians and enertainers, such as Levi Roots and some dude from breakfast TV. I did however, get to stop and chat with the ever enthusiastic Phillip Scofield, who was recording a documentary and surrounded by TV cameras. 

We found refreshment in a cup of tea, served in fine bone china cups and accompanied with some nice shortbread before the proceeding began. At the appointed time, we assembled in our designated area. A drum roll was followed by the National Anthem as The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Edward greeted the masses from the terrace. The   Duke then began a tour of the gardens, calling by each of the assembled small groups in turn. We were first on his agenda and having addressed the students noticed my Gold DofE badge on my lapel, so came over for a chat about my students and where and when I'd achieved the Gold Award - "Jolly, good, jolly good". He also quipped at the Headmaster (who was stood next to me) on why he'd not got one!! I forgot to bow (or curtsy) as we'd been instructed, but he didn't seem to mind as we mattered away.

Once HRH had moved onto the next group, certificates were presented to the students by a team of five girls who had recently rowed across the Pacific Ocean unsupported (it only took nine months!). And then I was called forward to receive a DofE crested plaque for 'services rendered'. I also had to pose for an 'official photo' with the rowing girls, which my students though quite funny.

As we were first to meet HRH, we had some extra free time to look around, so I went over to watch some of the other presentation groups and got to see Primce Edward as well! He was also very chatty and was sporting a fine Panama size seven. One of my childhood hero's, David Seaman, was also in attendance and had just finished his presentations as I was walking past. I introduced myself and we had a good chat. No wonder he is such a great goalkeeper - he's a giant! And a very nice one at that!

In between all the famous folk, I also bumped into some old friends from the Outdoor Education Industry, including a guy I used to work with over ten years ago and various people I'd climbed with in Scotland over the years. 

Eventually, it was time to go. The Duke headed back inside and I made a beeline for Euston station. It was an amazing experience back in 1999, when I attended my own Gold Award Ceremony with M & D, and the repeat visit didn't disappoint. It's been a sunny Monday to remember...


No comments:

Post a Comment