Saturday 6 April 2019

The Kings Trail - Day 2: Aboskojaurestugorna to Alesjaurestugorna

Had a lie in this morning - didn’t need to be up until 07:00. I put on thin thermals as we had no clouds, no wind and some uphill sledding ahead of us. It was only just below freezing. 


Markus prepared porridge on the gas stove while we got the fire lit. 


It’s easy to pack up when you only have a minimal amount of stuff with you. Just after 10, having fed the dogs and washed up, we were off. It took a bit of time, but things take longer when there is no running water and wastewater needs to be taken out and tipped away rather than poured down the sink. 



We crossed a frozen lake and became the climb. I stripped down to a thin fleece and had the legs of my sallopettes zipped open to let the heat out. Thankful I had been given a stronger dog to help my team out, but we still had to help push the sleds up the hill to a cool at around 800m. It was hard work, but the views were incredible once we’d crossed the col to the east of a pointed peak called Garddenvarri (1154m). 





The trail took us over the high lakes on mostly flat terrain, surrounded by larger peaks. It had a Scottish feel to it, but with better snow cover. Despite the easier gradient, I had to help push with one foot as the snow was soft and deep. I counted 7 pushes on each leg before swapping sides to prevent my legs getting too pumped. I was glad when we stopped at a small hut called Radunjanga, where we rested and made hot soup to go with our ‘Polar Bread’ sandwiches. We’d covered 17km. 


The afternoon run was much easier (or the food helped with my energy levels) and before long, our 24km day finished with our arrival at the huts of Alesjaurestugorna, at 800m. There are three big huts, and we have a bunk room for us, but a kitchen to share with others. 
The solar panel has been great and is currently charging the camera. After the now routine chores of staking out the dogs, chopping wood, we munched through a huge chocolate bar and lay down for a nap. I set an alarm for a ‘Clare style’ 20mins and must admit, I was out like a light and felt much better for it afterwards. 


Down below the hut, the dogs were all lined up, nestling down for the night. They are tough dudes!



There was no sign of the northern lights, but I had a nice chat with the hut warden. Felt pretty lucky after he told me that it had been a terrible winter and that this had been only the third day of sunshine in four weeks! 


Dinner was both interesting and delicious. Bacon and hashbrowns, with a slice of cheese covered in jam...




No comments:

Post a Comment