Wednesday 4 July 2018

Dawn to Dusk in Snowdonia

I often end up working long or strange hours as a teacher of Outdoor Education, but today was a particularly long one. I'd spent the night (well, a few hours at least), asleep in the back of the van before the alarm rang at 03:30am. Having assembled my team of bleary eyed students, we set off into the sunrise.


We were off to make an early ascent of Cader Idris in mid-Wales. It was just before 6am when we started hiking, but already the temperature was in the twenties. 


Upon the summit ridge, there was a lovely cooling breeze as we enjoyed the views up to the summit.


There was no need to go into the summit shelter as we wanted to take in the views, but we didn't hang around long as there were more peaks to climb that day.


By midday, we were in the Ogwen valley, where we met Aled, who guided the team up Tryfan. I fell straight asleep as soon as they were gone. I was exhausted but refreshed myself with my first ever swim in Llyn Ogwen. I don't know why I've never swum in there before? It's probably never been this warm I guess!


It was so warm, I couldnt beileve it! Having anticipated just jumping in and out, I actually swam right into the middle of the lake, without getting cold at all. It was a great place to lie back and soak up the mountain views from a new perspective.


Suitably refreshed, I met the team at the base of Tryfan and transported them around to Pen y Pass, where they set off up Snowdon - their final challenge of the day. Llyn Mymbr also looked inviting as I drove back later to pick them up.


The weary group, staggered back down to the top of the Llanberis Pass just after the sun had set, exhausted and elated all at once. After celebrating with them, I took them home and eventually got back to my bed just after midnight. I was virtually asleep before I was through The Cottage door....


No comments:

Post a Comment