Monday 3 April 2017

Pen y Fan (886m) Brecon Beacons

Hywel was off early this morning on his bike and sent back this picture telling me to get up and get going! Nice view from the morning commute!



Shortly after 9am I'd left the coast and was in the mountains of the Brecon Beacons about to set off up its highest peaks. I was armed with modern lightweight gear, but could only find my copy of Mr Davenport's 1976 edition O.S Map of the Brecons! (in feet and inches!!) - I figured, the mountains hadn't moved much since then!

 

Luckily, navigation wasn't too much a problem and it didn't take long to hike up from near Storey Arms to the summit of Corn Du...

 

Then along the ridge to the highest point - Pen y Fan.

 

It was bitterly cold up there, despite the sunshine. I was glad I'd got my Rab down jacket with me.

 

 

I had some food on the top and took in the views, snuggled warmly inside my jacket, while a few other hikers came and went.

 

 

I decided to descend a slightly different way to make a circular journey, so went off the side of Corn Du back to the Outdoor Centre.

 

Then all I had to do was head north on the open road.....! Via a few traffic lights...

 

...and some stuck lorries....

 

...and a few traffic jam.... (include one past a blazing car!!)...

 

....and of course a few caravans...

 

I had to stop for a brew in mid Wales, which was actually quite nice as I was self sufficient. It was looking quite likely that I might make it home without ever getting into fifth gear!

 

A final bit of re-surfacing in the Ogwen valley was the final hurdle and I eventually made it back to The Cottage, five minutes before Clare got back from London. We were both tired, dazed and happy. We'd each had quite a trip...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment