Thursday 30 March 2017

Surfing When it's Wet

A busy few days have just been spent on various things including lots of fixing things in the stores, a trip down a gorge with some students and a good helping of general admin. The weather has finally broken and I was about to have a chilled day in at The Cottage, when I noticed that the surf forecast was looking promising... 
Promising for North Wales that is. The good swell was set to be accompanied by heavy rain and southerly gales. I thought a sheltered bay on Anglesey would be worth a look. The only problem was that the best conditions (due to the state of the tide) were most likely first thing in the morning. It was a battle to drag myself out of my warm bed into a wild day, but something was telling me to go for it. 
The van was rocking in the wind as I pulled up at the beach, but the bay looked sheltered. And although there was no one else around, there was (joy!) some waves. 

 

Another van pulled up to assess the waves. I decided to go for it and was pleased to find that it was much warmer than expected in the water. After a bit of paddling about in the swell, I found the best spot and enjoyed some great long rides as more surfers turned up. I whooped out loud at the end of a particularly good ride and even got a thumbs up from some other surfers. It was a very friendly and sociable line up! By the time I was too tired to paddle, my feet had become too numb to stand! It was definitely time to get out!


Today also marks the 4th Anniversary of our Wedding Party. Four years ago it was crisp blue skies and deep snow and ice all over the mountains. We went for an evening walk up the track to reminisce in slightly different (wet) conditions.

 
 
But that made coming back for fireside coffee and cake celebrations all the more appealing. 

 

Followed by a big dinner, pumping tunes and a glass or two of the wedding champagne made for a perfect celebration - especially as we were both about to embark on a hectic weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment