Sunday 15 November 2015

The Centurion - Great Uncle Fred

Great Uncle Fred! Head of the Martin Family is 100 years old and The Martin Clan have all assembled to celebrate with him in London! What a legend!


Having finished yesterdays session in the climbing wall I drove directly to London. One of the things that I like about little 'mini-missions' such as this, is that quite often fun things happen along the journey. And on arrival in Surrey, I wasn't disappointed! I'd barely peeled myself off the drivers seat, when I was whisked into a Rod Stewart Concert at Blackmoor Golf Club! Dancing the remaining hours of the night away was the perfectly bonkers (if somewhat surreal) way to finish the journey! We stayed right through to the last dance and I even to to meet the man himself (who turned out to be a very convincing tribute singer and a lovely guy). We made it back to Dockenfield at midnight and to bed an hour or so later.

In the morning, we enjoyed a good stretch out with Lloyd and JoJo, before changing into some smarter attire and heading off to meet up with The Martins.


Great Uncle Fred was in fine form and everyone from this side of my family had travelled over to celebrate with him. It's been a great day of celebration, catching up, eating, speeches and toasts.


We also got to see his telegram from the Queen!


And needless to say, there were plenty of photo calls.


Great Uncle Fred said in his speech that this had been the fourth party celebration at which he had been guest of honour this week. I can only hope that my social calendar is a well packed as his when I'm 100!


Sarah had made an amazing cake that depicted various part of Fred's life as well as catering for three different dietary requirements!


Given the historic nature of the occasion and the fact that everyone was present in the same room at the same time, there were more mug shots to go down in the annuals of history...





A simply wonderful day, with wonderful family and one particularly inspiring gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment