Thursday 27 August 2015

A surf and climb combo day

Today was the kind of day where you get reminded that we really do live in a fantastic place. The kind of place that allows you (even between a few jobs) to get a surf in in the morning and go rock climbing in the afternoon. After a busy morning at The Cottage, I was able to get to the beach for mid tide, where I was hoping that a certain break would be working.


As it turned out the swell wasn't quite big enough, so I drove down to a more reliable area at the 'Bumpy Car Park'.  It was exposed to the wind, but there were enough waves to get some exercise and I actually got a few good rides. I was the only person in the water, compared to Cable Bay which was packed! I'd forgotten it was school summer holidays! Afterwards I was reminded how good it is to have a van to get changed in!


Bit random, but just thought I'd add a picture of this giant dragon fly I saw today on a wall!



So after lunch, I met Clare near Conwy for a climb at Penmeanbach Quarry. The walk in was full of Purple Heather and Yellow Gorse. Beautiful. We enjoyed it at a lesiurely pace (and not just because Clare was wearing my spare shoes as I'd fogotten to bring hers!).



Although it was a beautiful sunny afternoon, there was a very strong wind whipping across the hillside, which made the climbing a bit harder than we were expecting. As well as Clare's shoes, I'd also neglected to bring the guidebook, so we just guessed at the grades and climbed a couple of routes at the far end of the top level.


At the top were some funky patterns in the rock...


In the end, the wind became a bit tiring and sent us off early into the evening sun....


Penmaenbach Quarry:
- Shaking that A55 - (4c)
- Jack A55 (4b)

No comments:

Post a Comment